Monday, October 21, 2013

Stubble Mini-tut

May take awhile to load :(

Just wanted to share how I got some stubble detail on the normal map without much effort. Hopefully someone may find it useful.




In 3ds max I thought it may be a good idea to start off with just making some small cylinders, copying a few over then with local transformations, rotated them. Rinse and repeat till it filled the square. The base of the normal map.

So after baking I got this.

There are errors here and there but it doesn't matter so much as the size will be reduced when I overlay it on the pre-existing normal map for the head and those little hiccups will not be noticeable. I used ndo2 to combine the two normal maps together and just erased parts that were unnecessary. That's about it.

This was the first experiment for making stubble so if anyone has any tips on how to improve it then let me know! :)

2 comments: