Sunday, March 10, 2013

Metal Ore Rock Face


I'm practising some more environment texturing workflow. So I used Zbrush for the initial sculpt and photoshop to adjust and correct seams. I'm starting to really dig using Crazy Bump to help generate and alter normals and specular maps. It's a super cool tool.

For the texture I extracted the green channel from the normal map which gave me some nice depth to the colour map and overlaying various rock photographs with different blend modes for some variety in colour of the rock. I generated the specular from the colour map information in Crazy bump, playing around with the settings and the contrast so that I could catch the light on the 'highest' points of the map, keeping the spec nice and sharp to give that jagged feel to it.

I thought it would be a good idea to take the specular and blend it into the colour map, which further exaggerates the metallic texture on the rock, differentiating itself from the rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment